Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Day 30 One Entire Month

Day 30
Molinaseca to Cacabelos--14.26 miles; 190 km. to go

Ladies:
Do you plunge into depression looking at that ghastly cellulite hanging from your bum and thighs in the dressing room mirror? Maybe there´s a slinky new dress you´d love to fit into for the holidays, but you say you just can´t give up that nightly plate of pasta with the creamy sauce or the mega-size chocolate bars? I have got a fabulous diet plan for you. No gimmicks! Guaranteed to work! The fall season is fast approaching, a delightful time to walk the Camino with no crowds, no heat. C´mon over! No reservations needed.

Getting closer

Today marks the one month mark since St. Jean Pied de Port. That´s one month of walking every day. I try to think of similar distances as if I were at home. It´s like walking from my house to South Coast Plaza every day.

Today´s walk leads me through the city of Ponferrada, which has an imposing Knights Templar castle smack in the middle of town. The Templars had a huge influence along the Camino, establishing churches and monasteries. This particular castle sits low near the river and not on top of a hill. It was built to protect pilgrims from bandits. Now it´s mostly covered with scaffolding for restoration efforts.

Templar's castle in Ponferrada

The trail right now is between two ranges of mountains, in the fertile Bierzo Valley. Bierzo is known for its wine, perhaps not outside of Spain. It´s a wonderful walk through happy vineyards and woodland. A big climb lies ahead in about two-days time.

Up the Bierzo Valley

Tonight´s lodging? Refugio (5 euros), hotel room with TV (21 euros). Refugio or hotel? Refugio or hotel? You guess.

1 Comments:

Blogger James C. said...

I can't even begin to tell you how odd it is to post to your blog from the mirror-world here in Japan (yes, Chris- I read pattern recognition- hellishly good, too).

All I can tell you is that you're right on- I haven't seen one fat bum in all of Kansai. Everyone walks. And they eat what they want. And I mean, anything they want.

You're tracking pretty fast. And it looks like you're having a blast. Everyone here in Kakogawa sends their love and best wishes. My step-cousing Keiko wishes she was walking with you!

July 27, 2006 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home